Wednesday, August 28, 2013

From the Team Goldfish Gear Bag: Bag Balm

One of the unfortunate things I struggle with in my swimming is chaffing, particularly under my arms and around my neck.  Seriously, I spend a lot of time looking like I was attacked by a vampire or a very lusty and incompetent make out partner.

I've tried a bunch of products to help prevent and soothe chafing--from good ol' Vaseline to Body Glide--but nothing really worked for me.  That is until I learned about Bag Balm.  The mix of lanolin and petroleum gives this balm the texture of an extra thick petroleum jelly.  After reading about it on an open water forum I ordered a tin (yes it comes in retro-y tins).  I was happy to discover that it doesn't have a smell.  It's soothing when your skin is chaffed, and works wonders in protecting it from new chaffing by staying on during swims. 

And it's got a great history.  Bag Balm was originally developed in 1899 in Vermont by dairy farmers to help sooth the chapped udders of cows during the cold winters. If it's good enough for a cow, it's good enough for a goldfish!

No comments:

Post a Comment