Thursday, August 15, 2013

To Swim, Perchance to Dream: Piscine Josephine Baker

La Piscine Josephine Baker with the roof down.

Some people have a dream car, or a dream house.  But the more I get into swimming, the more I have dream pools.  Places I'd like to swim, or wish I could swim every day. 

Earlier this year, I had a day to kill in Paris in route to Fes, Morocco. I had planned to go for a swim (even used the great website Swimmers Guide to find a pool), but between the snow and cold, my jet lag, and some nasal congestion, I abandoned the plan for fear I'd drown!

However, if I ever find myself with some time to kill in Paris again, I vow to get that swim in.  Because now I know about La Piscine Josephine Baker.

Floating on the Seine River, it is a glass-walled modular barge with--get this--a retractable roof that can open when the weather's nice and close to protect from inclement weather.  It's located just below the Bastille, and from what I understand, i takes water from the river, treats it and eventually recycles it back into the river. (Sounds a bit like the NYC project +Pool).

La Piscine Josephine Baker with the roof up!

Have a suggestion for a future post of "To Swim, Perchance to Dream?"  Email me or tweet me with the hashtag #dreampool.

No comments:

Post a Comment