Friday, August 23, 2013

The Goldfish Net: Interesting Swim Stuff from Around the Interweb

The more I've been swimming and blogging about swimming, the more I've discovered that there are so many great resources on the topic.  Occasionally I'll round up some interesting swim stuff from around the interweb using The Goldfish Net.

Lone Swimmer: Addressing my own stroke deficiencies
Great post about getting back to technique basics, featuring video drills from a resource new to me, Grimseys Adult Swim.

Swimming Science: Friday Interview with Kevin O'Connell Ph.D. Candidate on Genes and Cramping
This one is pretty technical, but if you're like me and you get cramps (I can get brutal charley horses in my calves), you've probably been told that it's a result of dehydration.  O'Connell's research indicates a genetic source of cramping (which may be why my dad suffers from calf cramps, too.) Interesting exploration of the science, and then some practical tips about preventing and dealing with cramps.

USA Triathalon: Plan Your Open Water Swim Training
Something so obvious, that I hadn't thought about, "Just as you need to have a solid plan for your workouts in the pool (warm up, drills, main sets, cool down) you need to have a plan for your open water swims as well."

Swim Across America launched a Blog! 
Only one post up yet, but they promise more to come!

Finding at 50: NYC Swim Statue of Liberty Swim...cap
Louise Darlington does an epic recap (with great photos) of her experience doing NYC Swim's Statue of Liberty swim.  It's definitely making me want to do it next year!  And she posted part 2 with insight into her training and tips.

"The hourlong class, held on a steamy summer evening, was a step toward addressing one of New York’s more persistent and surprising disparities: many of the poor and working-class residents who live along some of the most popular beaches in the city cannot swim." 

Something fun to end on! The Guardian recreated Michael Phelps' 16th Gold Medal (1 year ago) in Legos.  SwimSwam also has the comparison to the real footage!

No comments:

Post a Comment